Sunday, August 1, 2010

What are we losing?

Now don't get me wrong, I love technology. I would be lost with out my phone, laptop and digital cameras (5 at last count).

But what are we losing in this digital world?

The reason I ask this question is while the wife and I were cleaning our bonus room today she ran across "The Box". "The Box" is a small metal lock box that has been following us around since we were married. "The Box" contains letters/notes from when we were dating.

We sat in the floor of the closet and read many of the letters we wrote to each other almost twenty years ago. We laughed so hard we cried. It brought back many memories of days gone by. (Oh yeah, Honey, we need to get a better lock box. One that has a key. Before the kids find and read our letters!) Even in this digital age that we are living in I still occassionally send her a hand written letter.

If we were dating today would we've had these letters to read twenty years from now? Probably not since most communication these days is done via email, instant messaging, texting and tweeting.

I am thankful that both of us saved our letters.

Now I just need to make sure they stay out of little hands for another twenty years! And I probably should go write her another love letter...

When was the last time you wrote (not typed, tweeted or text'd) your loved one a letter?

No comments:

Post a Comment